Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Dec 2013

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sun 1-Dec-2013 18:25
Two comments - firstly I have seen English written coloured, in a class with dyslexics the words would often be written coloured and referred to as "green words" and "blue words". That was many years ago now (I'm nearly 40) and I reckon the people concerned still think of the words by colour instead of their actual function in English.

Secondly - a very real use for syntax highlighting - being a dope and forgetting to close quotes in strings. It can be easy to do and hard to see if your code is "contrived example\" (the \ should be \n) but with coloured code, the fact that a lot of stuff that shouldn't be a string IS would be an instant giveaway.
As for your "=" vs "==" problem, any useful compiler ought to throw a warning if it spots a "=" where a "==" is expected, like in if statements. Likewise you ought to get a warning (like "comparison with no effect") if you use "==" when an assignment would have been expected. After all, this==that; doesn't result in anything sensible, logically it will either be true or false. What is that expressed in code? Your compiler ought to tell you about this.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Wed 11-Dec-2013 14:19
I'll join the crowd here to say thank you for the time you spent on this article, I've appreciated it a lot.

International Karate

Anonymous
Fri 13-Dec-2013 13:46
Simply amazing, 8.35 still gives goose bumps.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Fri 13-Dec-2013 15:13
Thank you. I don't think this article will EVER be outdated :P

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Sun 15-Dec-2013 00:26
I would love to build the bitbuf myself, are you going to put out any instructions for this machine?

Zeugma

Anonymous
Sun 15-Dec-2013 05:43
Doesn't work on NTSC. :(

I get an [Illegal opcode] error.

About me

daixtr
dexter aparicio
Wed 18-Dec-2013 23:56
what's your say on computer gaming? And if you are into it, what type of computer games do you play?
daixtr
dexter aparicio
Wed 18-Dec-2013 23:57
also, what's your comment on the dvorak computer keyboard layout. Thanks for any comments. More power to you!

Tracking down the ^Z problem in vim

Anonymous
Sun 22-Dec-2013 07:59
zen solution, C-Z, take a breath, then type make

anyway, thanks for the tip as it happens so often here too ;-)

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Fri 27-Dec-2013 15:55
Great article! I'm currently running a real Teletype ASR-33 on a serial port with Ubuntu. I have to use stty to set the proper parameters for an uppercase-only terminal, change tabs to spaces, etc. Is there a way to determine what port I'm logging into (ttyS0? S1? S2, S3 or S4?) Right now, I have to run stty on all ports and get an access denied error for any port I'm not connected to. I'd like to find out what port I'm on and only run the stty on that port. Thanks for your time!

Have you tried ls /dev/tty.* to get a listing of connected devices? On my Mac OS X this cues me into which tty device to use. I'm running a DEC Writer III. :)

Zeugma

Anonymous
Tue 31-Dec-2013 08:00
Zeugma 1.2 worked fine on my real NTSC C64 when I was testing REU Image Loader, with my 1750 REU + uIEC. -Macbeth/PSW