Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Sep 2012

Fratres

Anonymous
Sun 2-Sep-2012 01:57
As a physicist, I relish in illuminating to non technical people how mathematics and art are so enmeshed. Fratres is an elegant example of how mathematics can be beautiful and art can be mathematical. What a truly breathtaking composition! Thanks for this webpage!!!

a in the usa

Craft

Anonymous
Mon 3-Sep-2012 22:16
Is it possible to replace the 442 resistors with a more common value like 390 or 470?

Legend of Zelda

Anonymous
Mon 10-Sep-2012 10:07
the next song you should do is the battle song of gigax on earthbound

Bit banger

Anonymous
Mon 10-Sep-2012 12:43
wow... thats all i can say..

(foto)

Anonymous
Tue 11-Sep-2012 00:56
Detta är inte hälsosamt. För mitt psyke.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Wed 19-Sep-2012 21:01
It's not to keep application simple that the line discipline is in the kernel. The unix philosophy is quite the contrary, to keep the KERNEL simple, and deport to user space the handing of complexities that they don't want inside the kernel. (See for example interrupted system calls and signal handling, but that's another topic).

The reason why the line discipline is inside the kernel, is to avoid context switches at the reception of each character (which in the early times of small core memories, would imply swap-outs and swap-ins!). So the line discipline keeps in a kernel buffer a line of input, and since it's simple enough to test for a specific byte and decrement a counter to implement the backspace "editing" (and a few other simple editing functions), it's done there.

The alternative, is to use the raw mode, where the characters are forwarded to the application as soon as they're received, which is needed for more sophisticated editors, like the (at the time) famously known Eight Megabytes And Constantly Swapping editor (emacs). And indeed, since emacs had to use this raw mode, which implies a context switch at the reception of each character typed, it was constantly swapping when the computers hadn't enough memory to keep emacs and all the other programs in core.
Anonymous
Thu 20-Sep-2012 02:54
Thanks a lot! Was looking for this kind of information all over the place, never found anything good. If you got more please keep it coming.
Anonymous
Thu 27-Sep-2012 22:03
The most concise/intuitive article I've read so far on the subject. Diagrams were especially helpful. If you manage to write a book on Linux is such manner, no doubt it's going to be a bestseller...

Thanks,
Val.