Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Feb 2014

Brainfuck

Anonymous
Tue 4-Feb-2014 22:15
Are you ready for the next challenge? Implement some brain fuck interpreter using the game of life. It's turing complete after all ;-)

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Tue 11-Feb-2014 19:38
Thanks for this enlightening article! It is a bit wordy, but I completely expected that.

I am currently working on writing a toy OS

You work for Microsoft?

The bitbuf

Anonymous
Tue 11-Feb-2014 20:20
Seriously,
please share your ideas or take our money. But such a nice device without any chance to get hands on by ourselves, really gives you bad karma!

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Wed 12-Feb-2014 02:14
First teletype was made in Germany around the 30s or 40s. One of the many types of teletypes was the Hellschreiber. There were also other types but all worked the same: you punch letters and they are remote printed to one or more receiving stations. After the war in the operations of confiscating the german patents, the US developed the teletype further. That's missing from your article.
Anonymous
Fri 14-Feb-2014 08:32
First teletype was made in Germany around the 30s or 40s. One of the many types of teletypes was the Hellschreiber. There were also other types but all worked the same: you punch letters and they are remote printed to one or more receiving stations. After the war in the operations of confiscating the german patents, the US developed the teletype further. That's missing from your article.

The Hellschreiber device is not a teletype, it's more of a facsimile machine. You pressed a letter, and a _bitmap_ of the letter was transmitted (twice to account for mechanical asynchrony). On the receiving side, marks and spaces were literally penned onto the paper, creating two copies of the text, one atop the other. Due to said asynchrony, it was often skewed, but because two copies were printed, nonetheless legible.

This is a very, very different mode of operation from the teletypes described above.
Anonymous
Fri 14-Feb-2014 08:45

I don't know of the history of teletypes in Germany, but the Teletype Model 15 was first produced in 1930 and was in wide use before and after World War II. Both in military and civilian contexts.

The Model 15 wasn't the first model produced by the Teletype corporation, but it was probably the most widely used pre-war model. It might have been the most widely used model, period.

Like I said, I don't really know anything about German teletypes, but looking at the Wikipedia page for Hellschreiber, that device is quite different than the Teletype corporation's devices. It looks like the Hellschrieber sends pixels and might actually be more similar to FAX machines than Teletype devices.

About me

Anonymous
Fri 14-Feb-2014 09:23
Oldtime C64/8-bit scener here. LFT, your knowledge of hardware, low-level programming and music/chip composition is outstanding. I'm suitably impressed, good sir!

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Mon 17-Feb-2014 07:42
man! you made me see the light!

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Fri 21-Feb-2014 19:51
cool man

Zeugma

johnwbyrd
John Byrd
Tue 25-Feb-2014 22:47
It's possible to run Zeugma using the Windows version of the VICE emulator; however, the VICE emulator will stomp on any REU save file that is not exactly the size that VICE expects it to be. Your story file will be full of zeros and Zeugma will report that it cannot run a story file of version 0. To work around this behavior, you will need to pad the z8 story file to exactly the size of the expected REU before loading it in VICE.

There is a padbin.exe file in http://www.pineight.com/gba/gbfs.zip which can be used to do this padding, with the following command line for a 512 KB emulated REU:

padbin.exe 524288 your-story-file.z8

Then you can load the padded file into the emulated REU and start zeugma.
johnwbyrd
John Byrd
Tue 25-Feb-2014 23:03
Such beautiful and outstanding work on getting this emulator operational.

I confess however that for us emulator users, part of the attraction is the ability to have a "true" C64 experience... I would like to therefore politely request the ability to revert Zeugma back to classic C64 fonts and colors, perhaps via one of the function keys.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Thu 27-Feb-2014 07:55
Hi--how are things in Sweden?

Every once in a while I get up the ambition to complain about the width of text on a web page, and you're the lucky winner today--sorry ;-)

This could be a good article--from the looks of it, it probably is--but why is it (and so many other web pages today) so wide?

Checking one line at random, it is 130 characters wide:

echo "Meanwhile, however, the computers — still quite large and primitive, but able to multitask — were becoming powerful enough to" | wc
1 20 130

Oh, and I'm ignoring the stuff in the left hand panel / column--I simply horizontally scroll so that panel is not visible.

You mean you aren't browsing this page with a teletype?

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Thu 27-Feb-2014 20:58
You can make a LOT of money with this chipophone. Heck, even I would buy one.