Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Sep 2014

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Tue 2-Sep-2014 16:01
the VT100 was not a colour terminal as the text suggests, though.

seems so, just checked the manuals online. http://www.vt100.net/docs/

do you perhaps know which terminal introduced color attributes for escape sequences?

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Thu 4-Sep-2014 11:55
Seriouse Condencending Wonka meme
Oh, you got an old-school party in the non-US
That must be soo better than out dubsteps.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Thu 4-Sep-2014 23:13
The Plan 9 operating system completely does away with TTY, signals, and ioctl. Everything in Plan 9 is either a file or represented as a file.

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sun 7-Sep-2014 20:37
"this blog article is bullshit"
Anonymous
Tue 9-Sep-2014 22:08
This is basically a nice thought technology for some people to try rather than rejecting it out of hand.

I work in 'big iron' mainframes where some of the editing tools lack syntax highlighting and others have syntax highlighting. Most new comers and experienced people report finding the lack of syntax highlighting slows down their coding and leads to more errors that are harder to find. A minority (maybe the geniuses?) report finding removing syntax highlighting a boon and I have long advocated that they develop schemes in the tools where syntax highlighting is available to remove or minimise syntax highlighting.

I haven't kept hard numbers but in my estimates are that about 90% of people write better code, faster, with syntax highlighting and 10% the opposite. Given my experience it makes sense for you to follow Linus' advice and try out the options and see what group you are in.

From years of personal experience I know I am in the 'syntax highlighting helps me' camp. I FTP code out of environments without syntax highlighting to put it into editors with highlighting and often immediately see bugs I have spent ages searching for or find design flaws that leap off the screen with some help (these are declarative and or interpreted tools with no compiler to help me).

But that doesn't mean the same is true for Linus or for you. Give it a try and find out.

Perhaps I am in the dumbo camp and Linus and you are in the genius group. It is cheap to find out. If I have a bad knee I will use crutches without shame, it would be better to not have to use them but if they get me to my goal faster or with less pain then I am not going to deny myself the help on a matter of principle. But if crutches are getting in your way more than they help then you would be a fool to keep using them.

The argument that people should only comment if they have solid statistical data is simply missing the point of what stats do and don't tell you. Group stats tell you nothing about any individual in a group. Even if 99.999% of people do better with option A if YOU are one of the 0.001% who do better with option B then 100% of YOU do better with option B. Therefore you should use option B if it makes sense to do so even though it would be a bad choice statistically.

Raster paper

Anonymous
Wed 10-Sep-2014 20:07
This is extremely helpful in timing your code! Have saved hours of debugging. Thanks!

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Sat 13-Sep-2014 12:33
The basic idea is that every pipeline is a job, because every process in a pipeline should be manipulated (stopped, resumed, killed) simultaneously.

Not just pipelines, every command is a job in shell's parlance. Job is a userspace thing, only maintained by shell, not kernel.
http://www.gnu.org/software/bash/manual/bashref.html#Shell-Commands

Niz

Earthworm Quest

Anonymous
Fri 19-Sep-2014 23:55
This are the first steps for the next iPhone KillerApp ! :)
Very delicious flowers there...

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Wed 24-Sep-2014 12:34
By far the most amazing article about TTY I have ever read, thanks!