Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Oct 2011

Live at LCP 2011

Anonymous
Thu 6-Oct-2011 23:00
just awesome!

A case against syntax highlighting

wladimir
Wladimir
Sat 8-Oct-2011 19:34
Interesting read! I agree with your article in that focusing on syntax is exactly not what you want. The syntax is the least interesting part of the program, so highlighting based on syntax could be counter-productive. It only shows the most superficial information, which is dead easy to parse with your brain.

However it might be more useful to have "semantic highlighting" instead of "syntax highlighting" for understanding. After all, a program is not plain text either. It is a tree data structure, or a computational flow diagram, depending on the level of interpretation. Some ideas for more advanced code visualization:

- style based on variable name; helps distinguish similarly-looking variable names. Maintenance programmers probably agree this could be useful
- style based on variable scope; this exists in some editors. Is a variable scoped to the object, the function or global?
- style based on depth of parse tree; useful for parsing expressions with a lot of parantheses / unclear operator precedence
- style based on inferred type information
- highlight branch paths (with arrows?), unreachable code
- highlight based on test coverage information

Etc...
Ideally an editor would support multiple views according to what the developer is doing (reading code, searching, reviewing correctness).

LFF

Anonymous
Wed 19-Oct-2011 22:10
Wow......... You have done a 4-Mat of ANARCHY Tune.....!

I was in ANARCHY, (Judge Drokk) founded it in 1989, and killed it in 1993.

4-Mat was the SOn of Hubbard as far as chip music was concerned...... in my opinion.

Regards........ Oh....... And the ChipoPhone is amazing. I could watch & listen all day!

You can find 3,4,5 of Ooh Its Obscene here........ http://www.themajiccollection.net/index2.htm

if it dont take u straight to the right bit, just search "Anarchy" under "Demos".

There was no more than 5, but the first was under a different group name....... "The Fantastic Four"... good look finding that one.. its possible, but ive never found it.

I did find something by my 64 group "The Infiltrators" (1988), tho........ so anythings possible.

Making the Chipophone

Anonymous
Fri 21-Oct-2011 03:54
I would seriously pay around 700$ US for a contraption like this. Perhaps you should look into a mass producing situation for us geeks out there in Awe of your amazing device.

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Mon 24-Oct-2011 19:11
can anybody give exact command for sending messages via linux?

The Chipophone

Anonymous
Thu 27-Oct-2011 04:37
Having a broken organ, seems alright now. Great work

Making the Chipophone

Anonymous
Sun 30-Oct-2011 03:08
I would seriously pay around 700$ US for a contraption like this. Perhaps you should look into a mass producing situation for us geeks out there in Awe of your amazing device.
sadly he could not as he did not design his own organ so some aspects would be copyrighted.