Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Feb 2008

TI-83

Anonymous
Sat 2-Feb-2008 19:27
will this work on my new TI 84+ SE
lft
Linus Åkesson
Sun 3-Feb-2008 20:11
will this work on my new TI 84+ SE

I doubt it. TI doesn't support machine code compatibility between different models; even TI-83 and TI-83+ are incompatible.

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Wed 6-Feb-2008 22:15
You've got a lot of patience to do all of that. I'd say fuck it half through. Keep up the good work though.

Mina rim är som lim på ditt skinn (texten)

Anonymous
Sun 10-Feb-2008 11:34
grymt

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Thu 21-Feb-2008 21:46
I fully disagree with your article. There is nothing controversial about ignorance.

You are turning a personal preference into an objective matter, without even discussing the subjectivity of the matter at all. To stack upon, a misleading example of freakshow highlighting (which you connect directly to the article by its subtitle) and a totally irrelevant comparison of learning curves, even though syntax highlighting was introduced to evade common syntax errors and enabling skimming through large source codes more easily. This new feature aimed towards professional developers, since the use of computers was mainly that of developers and academics.

And yes, I know what you'll say here; "Skimming is no good, you miss things and that's bad." Well, let's take your own example of the color splash. We both agree that it takes a longer time to read those words than the main, black text, right? But as we know, professional syntax highlighting almost never colors two words next to each other in different colors, it colors the key words in one and the rest in black. Common exceptions are comments, classes and variables. This means that you read mainly black, non-highlighted code, and occasionally your eyes fixates on a variable or class name.

In this case (general programming), it is a good thing that it takes a bit longer to skim through just that word, because it is important. We don't want to miss the semantic structure, as you wrote. The result of this skimming would be a list of class names instead of classes, to more easily find what we want to focus on. Next, we step into the class and understand the parts of it by the hierarchy we retrieved from our skimming through highlighted code. The same principle is implemented all the way down.

As mentioned above, it is a very good thing to be able to differ classes from properties. Without syntax highlighting, I cannot think of a quick way to determine the object type. It is also easier to identify upper/lowercase errors on-the-fly.