Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Apr 2008

Craft

Anonymous
Tue 1-Apr-2008 14:38
Wow that is amazing.

Would using 2 or 3 chips like this produce even more impressive results?

I notice there is some horizontal jitter in the lava field section, between 1:42 and 2:02.
I guess you are running short on the time needed to do the calculations accurately.
Anonymous
Tue 1-Apr-2008 21:28
beautiful work!

The pot plant monitor

Anonymous
Thu 3-Apr-2008 09:40
At University of Gent (molecular genetics department), we weigh the plants to determine if they need water. This way we can water them very precisely and there's no milliliter of water given to much or to little.

-femeref

Parallax for piano

Anonymous
Fri 4-Apr-2008 23:43
just heard your paralax for piano and entered your hp through www.remix64.com . anyway, I think you should release another piano-istic remix. I saw your last release is from 2001! I bet some ppl in the "scene" would appreciate another tune like that.
cheers,
cpt_chaos
www.cpt-chaos.de.vu

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Sun 6-Apr-2008 16:29
I think you have a case for a lot of languages, but one interesting case is that of LateX - without syntax highlighting you really have to stare at the screen to see if you've written \subsection{} which is an operator, or subsection{}, which the typesetter will parse as normal text. By the way, I know that LateX is not a programming language, but I feel it's relevant.

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Mon 7-Apr-2008 05:57
Nice job you did. I will study the work you made and try to learn from it. Iĺl put a post on my blog about it as soon as possible.
Jeronimo, from Brazil
www.blogdoje.com.br
Anonymous
Mon 7-Apr-2008 10:32
Great Job, impressive!

One small hint for prototyping boards. The vertical "bridges" are looking a bit messy (i know, its a prototype).

Before using silver wire: Unroll 1 Meter of wire, attach it to a fixed object, grab the other end (with a gripper) and pull it hardly. Now you have very straight silver wire which looks quite nice :)

Thx for the idea of gluing the layout onto the board, i will give it a try....

kiu

The pot plant monitor

Anonymous
Wed 9-Apr-2008 15:47
One interesting thing missing in the schematics is a suitable value for the capacitor.
Anonymous
Wed 9-Apr-2008 15:56
The amount of current would be very small. And the time it flows can be minimized by providing 5V on the sensing side when not measuring resistance, in effect giving very ner zero volts of difference between the electrodes.

Electrolysis would happen to a very small extent, but it can be minimized in the same way as the current.

Time to put that gold jewelry to use! It won't dissolve if used as electrodes.

The magnetic field would probably not be strong enough to be measurable with affordable instruments, given the small current.

About me

Anonymous
Wed 9-Apr-2008 16:43
You forgot to mention Hallucinogen. ;)
Anonymous
Wed 9-Apr-2008 16:51
You must be older than 115 to get the knowledge you have and such composition skills?...
Mucho respect!

The pot plant monitor

Anonymous
Thu 10-Apr-2008 11:42
Plants tend to grow, thus gain weight. How do you calculate the amount of plant growth?
-webpresence04 at soulsurf se

At University of Gent (molecular genetics department), we weigh the plants to determine if they need water. This way we can water them very precisely and there's no milliliter of water given to much or to little.

-femeref
lft
Linus Åkesson
Thu 10-Apr-2008 20:25
One interesting thing missing in the schematics is a suitable value for the capacitor.

Good point. I'm using a 10 uF electrolytic capacitor.

Craft

Anonymous
Thu 10-Apr-2008 22:44
Very great work. Absolut great demo and hardware... Big greetings, Chainsaw. (www.chainsaw72.ch.vu)

The pot plant monitor

Anonymous
Mon 14-Apr-2008 21:35

lft wrote:

10 uF electrolytic capacitor

Thanks!

The chimney claw project

Anonymous
Tue 15-Apr-2008 01:59
could I buy one? I have this science project due in 4 weeks. I just want it done!!!

Craft

Autoscatto
autoscatto
Wed 16-Apr-2008 08:51
Hola! I`m working (for now copying =]) on your project but i have problems... What kind of diode do you use in this board?
Thanks for your good work!!! (and excuse my bad english)
lft
Linus Åkesson
Wed 16-Apr-2008 16:39

Autoscatto wrote:

Hola! I'm working (for now copying =]) on your project but i have problems... What kind of diode do you use in this board?
Thanks for your good work!!! (and excuse my bad english)

Glad you like it! =) I'm using 1N4148 diodes, but anything with a forward drop somewhere around 0.7 V should work.

The chimney claw project

Anonymous
Mon 21-Apr-2008 09:25
A fantastic solution to the problem, when the experts wanted a brute-force approach! Congratulations!

Craft

Anonymous
Wed 23-Apr-2008 08:46
Really impressive. I'll be showing this to friends at KTH (kth.se), and probably build one or two. On my main lab board I have an AT90USB chip, which has to run at 16MHz to support USB, so I'd guess that means lower horizontal resolution. I think an Xmega could be really impressive, using its DMA engine to output high resolution colour signals.
-- Yann Vernier / LoneTech

The hardware chiptune project

Anonymous
Fri 25-Apr-2008 12:18
can i use this as a project for college?

i mean, could u tell me what i need to build it?

like the components?
Anonymous
Mon 28-Apr-2008 00:53
You should compose some nice tunes for it and share them :)

Fratres

Anonymous
Mon 28-Apr-2008 05:14
I am completely amazed by Fratres and am listening to all the versions on my online music service as the piece is new to me. I see it is also your favorite piece. But when I looked it up on Wiki the text citing your analysis seemed a little dismissive of the piece where it says: "The chord sequences themselves follow a clear pattern, and while the progressing chords explore a rich harmonic space, they nevertheless appear to have been generated by means of a simple mathematical formula." Were you saying that the piece is somehow simple or mechanically created? Just wondering, your thoughts appreciated.
Anonymous
lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 28-Apr-2008 16:38
I am completely amazed by Fratres and am listening to all the versions on my online music service as the piece is new to me. I see it is also your favorite piece. But when I looked it up on Wiki the text citing your analysis seemed a little dismissive of the piece where it says: "The chord sequences themselves follow a clear pattern, and while the progressing chords explore a rich harmonic space, they nevertheless appear to have been generated by means of a simple mathematical formula." Were you saying that the piece is somehow simple or mechanically created? Just wondering, your thoughts appreciated.
Anonymous

The word "simple" has many connotations. By no means do I consider Fratres trivial or hollow. Nevertheless, the sequence of notes can be described by a comparatively simple formula, as I've described in the analysis. This makes Fratres amazing, for the same reasons that a mathematician may consider a brief, elegant formula much more beautiful than a complex formula. Simple, in the case of Fratres, means pure, elegant, perfect.

Stranded

Anonymous
Tue 29-Apr-2008 10:48
hi, it says:
"couldn't load RAM image"
<large path lol>\ZSTRANDZ.83p
(Access denied, Java socketpermission etc.)

By the way, your craft demo rocks!
lft
Linus Åkesson
Tue 29-Apr-2008 10:56
Oops. Will fix. =)

Craft

Anonymous
Wed 30-Apr-2008 06:24
I am amazed and impressed. Bit-banging VGA and using the SPI port as a video shifter is too clever... wow. Does Atmel know about this demo of yours?

Fratres

Anonymous
Wed 30-Apr-2008 15:15
Thank you for your kind response; it helps me understand this amazing music.

Anonymous poster

lft wrote:

Anonymous

The word "simple" has many connotations. By no means do I consider Fratres trivial or hollow. Nevertheless, the sequence of notes can be described by a comparatively simple formula, as I've described in the analysis. This makes Fratres amazing, for the same reasons that a mathematician may consider a brief, elegant formula much more beautiful than a complex formula. Simple, in the case of Fratres, means pure, elegant, perfect.