Forum
Register
Log in
Latest comments
Syndication
RSS feed
Feedback

Forum comments in chronological order

Disclaimer: I am not responsible for what people (other than myself) write in the forums. Please report any abuse, such as insults, slander, spam and illegal material, and I will take appropriate actions. Don't feed the trolls.

Jag tar inget ansvar för det som skrivs i forumet, förutom mina egna inlägg. Vänligen rapportera alla inlägg som bryter mot reglerna, så ska jag se vad jag kan göra. Som regelbrott räknas till exempel förolämpningar, förtal, spam och olagligt material. Mata inte trålarna.

Feb 2019

Dialog

mstram
Sun 3-Feb-2019 07:01
The following code crashes the compiler

If I substitute the (else) with (if), I get a more reasonable message : "Error (if) without (then).

** The comment editor seems to strip away the indentation ... does it accept some kind of 'markup' ? (I.e. the second line (else) *was* indented.

Also I had much more in the source file, I isolated the crash down to these two lines.

Assertion failed!

Program: c:\bats\dialogc.exe
File: backend_z.c, Line 3348

Expression: call_lab

--------------------
(story title)
(else)
mstram
Sun 3-Feb-2019 07:15
The actual 'realistic' use case for the above was that I had accidentally "not-escaped" the title i.e.
(story title) ( Else) test file
instead of

(story title) \(Else \) test file
lft
Linus Åkesson
Sun 3-Feb-2019 07:54
Thanks! I'll fix that.

There's currently no tag to retain formatting in the comments; sorry for that. I've been using hardspaces to get around it. I suppose I'll fix that too.
mstram
Sun 3-Feb-2019 08:39
Are global flags (or maybe it's the (now) predicate) designed to work in "open code" (like global variables?

If I put :

(now)(a-global-flag) in "open code", I get :

"Special syntax cannot be redefined"

Mike
lft
Linus Åkesson
Sun 3-Feb-2019 20:54

mstram wrote:

Are global flags (or maybe it's the (now) predicate) designed to work in "open code" (like global variables?

If I put :

(now)(a-global-flag) in "open code", I get :

"Special syntax cannot be redefined"

Mike

Anything that starts in the very first column of a line is interpreted as a rule definition, so the compiler thinks you're trying to define a rule for a predicate called '(now)'. But that's special syntax, so its behaviour can't be modified.

If you would like the global flag to be initially set, define a rule with an empty rule body:

(a-global-flag)

This is analogous to how the initial values of other kinds of dynamic properties are defined. For instance:

(#box is #heldby #player)
(#box is open)
(current player #player)
mstram
Sun 3-Feb-2019 23:24
Ok, thanks, that works ... but ...

The "first-column-global" (fcg ? :)) is not showing up in the debugger's @dynamic output.

The flag *does* work though (of course),if I enter
(a-global-flag), giving the expected "Query succeeded:(a-global-flag)

The @dy(namic) cmd seems to be only finding global flags that are referenced inside a rule :

(test)
__ (now)(a-global-flag)

Mike
lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 4-Feb-2019 14:02

mstram wrote:

The @dy(namic) cmd seems to be only finding global flags that are referenced inside a rule

That is correct. A predicate is only considered dynamic if it appears in a (now)-statement somewhere. So, if there's a (now) (a-global-flag) somewhere, then (a-global-flag) is regarded as a boolean variable that can be toggled at runtime. And its initial value is determined by the rule definitions for it. Otherwise, it behaves more like a boolean-valued function, and the rule definitions make up its function body.

It's a matter of terminology. Something that can change is dynamic, but something that cannot possibly change is not.
mstram
Wed 6-Feb-2019 10:12
This crashes both the windows and linux-64 compilers, version
0d02_0_19, and 0e01_0_20,but NOT the 0c05_0_17 version

#gnue
(name *) gnue
(dict *) plane
(vehicle *)

Again it's only a code fragment, but I was trying to split a larger program into multiple files.

Mike
lft
Linus Åkesson
Wed 6-Feb-2019 19:10
Thank you! I can reproduce it. Amusingly, I can get the program to compile by adding a room:

(room #x)

But it's still a compiler bug, of course, and I'll fix it as soon as possible.
lft
Linus Åkesson
Wed 13-Feb-2019 21:01
Fixed in 0e/02.

A case against syntax highlighting

Anonymous
Wed 20-Feb-2019 16:04
Thanks!!! I understand your point. Our eye will put attention on every word highlighted on the text. So a important resource is lost, because highlight is all the place. A use with parsimony like compile error is better then emphasized every variable.

ildenir.github.io

The bitbuf

Incarnate
Brian Christensen
Fri 22-Feb-2019 06:39
Hey Linus - Greetings from Denmark :)

I remember seeing the BitBuf Presentation a few years ago, being quite impressed by it, I came to your site here, to follow it's progress and learn more about it. Since you've put up the BifBuf presentation, quite many have been requesting it to be made commercially available, it being mass produced, or the very least a DIY kit be made with schematics and components be made available, so people could make the BitBuf themselves. But seemingly no response from you, kept checking in to see if any progress had happened, then as time went by, I kind of forgot about it as nothing new seemingly happened.

So, some years later I suddenly remembered the BitBuf and remembered this site, and immediately came here in hopes that the project had progressed, but sadly it seems nothing has happened.

I'm truly excited for the piece of technological equipment you've made the BitBuf to be - so Linus what is the current status with the BitBuf, and do you have any plans in terms of making it commercially available?

Best Regards
Brian

A Mind Is Born

Anonymous
Fri 22-Feb-2019 20:04
What did you use to annotate your hexdump?
lft
Linus Åkesson
Mon 25-Feb-2019 22:29
What did you use to annotate your hexdump?

Inkscape. The digits are a block of text in a fixed-width font, and then I added various rectangles with rounded corners.

Brainfuck

Anonymous
Tue 26-Feb-2019 11:31
..... ..... ....! ?!!.? ..... ..... ....? .?!.? ....! .?... ..... .....
..!?! !.?.. ..... ..... ..?.? !.?.. ..... ..... ..... ..... !.?.. .....
..... .!?!! .?!!! !!!!! !!!!? .?!.? !!!!! !!!!! !!!!! .?... ....! ?!!.?
!!!!! !?.?! .?!!! !!!!! !!!!! .!!!. ?.... ..... ..... .!?!! .?... .....
..... .?.?! .?!.? .

The TTY demystified

Anonymous
Wed 27-Feb-2019 09:17
I am loving you hard.

Catatonic

Freecell

Anonymous
Thu 28-Feb-2019 08:50
Cool game, bro! Pls make more ASCII tty games.